– The Raiders have asked Terrelle Pryor not to take the No. 2 jersey because of its association with JaMarcus Russell. That, and JaMarcus is probably still wandering the streets of Baton Rouge wearing it.
– Roger Goodell will not punish Titans WR Kenny Britt for his myriad arrests during the lockout. That’s nice, but I’m sure Britt will give Goodell a reason to punish him soon anyway. Dude’s done everything from eluding police apprehension to promising to pay a friend’s bail and not doing it. That is not cool.
– 49ers RB Frank Gore, who still doesn’t have a deal, reportedly “snapped” at the assistant coaches. Oh god no. Not snapping! Behavior worthy of only turtles.
– Ravens WR Tandon Doss broke up a fight at Five Guys before the Thursday’s game against the Redskins. Maybe the people fighting were as mad about the peanuts as me. Why the hell do you have peanuts? I’m going to be eating ten pounds of delicious fries in five minutes. YOU’RE SPOILING MY APPETITE AND MAKING A MESS.
– Reggie Wayne was none too pleased with the suggestion that the reanimated corpse of Kerry Collins could be the Colts’ starting QB. Most of his points are legit (Collins is no Manning — duh — and that he doesn’t know their playbook yet), but Wayne’s disrespect for Collins’ Penn St. education is a little ridiculous. Reggie, you went to Miami. Come on now.
– ESPN wonders aloud what Michael Vick’s life would be like if he was white … and accompanies it with a photoshop of what they think a white Mike Vick would look like. Answer: Vanilla Ice.
– Chad Ochocinco plans on reimbursing rookie Mason Foster for the $20,000 fine incurred for his hit on The Ocho. He told Roger Goodell of his intentions via twitter. I say up the drama. Next time, carrier pigeon.
– Hey, remember how the NFL was going to do HGH testing this year? Yeah, that’s probably not gonna happen for a while.
– Lions rookie WR Nate Hughes (Alcorn State) also happens to be a registered nurse. I imagine an average day in his life going something like this: Hey, does this mole look kinda weird to you? How about this one? Could you maybe just take a look at this weird thing on my back real quick?
– Ravens rookie Torrey Smith was recording a promo for his alma mater Maryland when the earthquake hit. He was standing in a nice, safe field, so naturally he made a run for it. (Bonus points for the guy on the lawnmower who clearly thought his mower had been possessed by the devil.) Continue reading »
RideWithSilver contributor/fantasy guru Will Robinson is back with more. This week, quarterbacks…
Note: When I talk about scoring and other basic fantasy football rules, I will be using Yahoo’s standard rules.
In real football, having an elite quarterback as the foundation for your franchise is priority No. 1. In fantasy football? Not so much.
Last year, the Jets and the Ravens won more games than the Bengals but, in fantasy, a team with Carson Palmer was better off than a team with Mark Sanchez or Joe Flacco.
Of the 25 highest-scoring players, 17 were quarterbacks, but the reason quarterbacks are taken after running backs and receivers is simple: Only one starts, whereas you need two backs and three wideouts.
But you need a good one. Last season, if you had gotten one of the top six — Michael Vick, Aaron Rodgers, Tom Brady, Peyton Manning, Philip Rivers or Drew Brees — you were probably just fine. After them, there was a decent drop-off to the next guy, 2010 sleeper Josh Freeman, but more likely than not he was acquired off the waiver wire or as a backup. Continue reading »
– Kerry Collins is coming out of retirement to sign with the Colts. Across the country, the 49ers shouted, “Ffffffffffuuuuuu.”
– Chris Johnson is flying to Nashville to talk contract with the Titans, reminding us all that he still hasn’t signed. Stay tuned for the baffling news that he’ll become the highest-paid RB in the NFL.
– Rookie hazing is one of the best parts of sports, and any team that bans it can go screw itself. Which is why today’s heroes are the Titans, who strapped their rookies to the goalposts and dumped stuff on them.
– In the least surprising news of the year, the Raiders took Terrelle Pryor in the supplemental draft. I bought a friend a Jamarcus Russell fathead about a year ago (on clearance for $10). Fittingly, it fell off the wall and has since ripped in half. When do they put the T-Pry fatheads into production?
– The Giants crushed the Bears last night, but lost Terrell Thomas for the year when he tore his ACL in a freak collision with a teammate. Nothing like a horrible omen for the season to come!
– In response to the violence at the 49ers/Raiders game, tailgating has been banned after kickoff, alcohol will no longer be served after the third quarter and DUI checkpoints will be set up around Candlestick. Sooo I guess no one’s going to Niner games this year. Continue reading »